SHIP Customer Service Update
The State Health Insurance Assistance Program has a new phone number 301-255-4250
If you have turned 64 and are approaching age 65, now is the time to start doing research into your health insurance options so you’ll be ready when you become eligible for Medicare!
Medicare is complicated! When you enroll in Medicare, Medicare supplement insurance, Medicare Advantage and a Medicare prescription drug plan, you are making decisions that affect your coverage and your costs for the rest of your life. It is crucial that you pay attention to the deadlines and options!
The first thing you should do is attend one of our New to Medicare Seminars. In these seminars, we provide an introduction to the Medicare A, B, C, and D’s.
This diagram provides a graphic summary of some of the decisions you need to make as you approach eligibility for Medicare: Medicareflowchart
A counselor can help you come up with a plan that works for you. Some of the key inputs will be:
• Are you (or your spouse) currently employed?
• Do you (will you) have employer based coverage that will continue after you turn 65?
• What is the nature of the group and the coverage?
• What is your income level – do you qualify for subsidies?
• What prescription drugs do you take?
• What are your preferences with regard to restrictions on your choice of doctor and medical provider vs. your need to keep premiums low?